A new study by social marketing company Zuberance has revealed three surprising findings about Brand Advocates- influential consumers who frequently recommend brands and products without pay or incentives.
The Zuberance study found that:
1. Brand Advocates are even more active recommenders than previous studies have suggested. On average, Brand Advocates recommend nine brands, products, and services per year. The study also revealed that 32% of Brand Advocates recommend 10 or more brands, products, and services. On average, Brand Advocates make 26 recommendations per year. Eighteen percent of Brand Advocates recommend about once a week and 12% recommend several times per week.
2. Brand Advocates have larger social networks than earlier estimated. On average, Brand Advocates have between 200 and 450 people in their social networks. And online Brand Advocates – consumers who recommend their favorite brands and products using Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, plus shopping and review sites like Amazon.com, TripAdvisor, and Yelp – have between 300 to 600 contacts in their social networks. This indicates that Brand Advocates’ ability to reach friends and peers with recommendations is much larger than earlier thought.
3. Brand Advocates recommend both consumer and business products. Many people mistakenly believe that Brand Advocates’ recommendations are limited to consumer products like iPhones, energy drinks, and restaurants. In fact, the majority of Brand Advocates (67%) recommend both business and consumer products and services. This finding supports the view that advocacy is a powerful weapon for both B2C and B2B marketers.
The Zuberance study also has suggested that there is a segment of Brand Advocates who are extremely active and have very large social networks. These “Power Advocates,” which comprise about 15% of Brand Advocates:
- Recommend dozens of brands, products, and services
- Recommend several times each week
- Have more than 500 people in their social networks
Energize Advocates Now
“This study provides further evidence about the power and influence of Brand Advocates,” said Rob Fuggetta, founder and CEO of Zuberance, an enterprise social media company that focuses on Brand Advocates. “The message in the data is clear for B2C and B2B marketers: find and activate your Advocates now to generate more recommendations, referrals, and revenues,” Fuggetta said.
How the Study Was Conducted
A total of 1,445 consumers participated in the Zuberance study, which was conducted January 4-17, 2012 by Loyalty Wins, a consultancy providing strategic guidance on developing global customer experience programs. Participants for the study, which represented a cross-section of US adults, were provided by Media Baby, an online marketing solutions company with a 100% permission-based database of more than 65 million records.
Free Webinar, Infographic and Whitepaper
Zuberance will hold a free webinar on Wednesday, March 21, 2012 at 11 AM PDT/2 PM EDT to present the study’s findings. To register for the webinar, visit: http://bit.ly/321web. In addition, an Infographic highlighting the findings can be found here and a free whitepaper about the study is available at http://www.zuberance.com/brandadvocateresearch.
Zuberance is the leading social media marketing company focused on Brand Advocates. Zuberance’s award-winning brand advocacy solution enables companies to systematically identify and energize their highly-satisfied customers (AKA “Brand Advocates”), driving measurable increases in referral leads, recommendations, and revenues. For more information, visit http://www.zuberance.com or follow Zuberance on Twitter @zuberance.